Summary: LinkedIn is a professional networking website. In this task you will open an account with LinkedIn, set up your online profile, including a link to your website(s) and connect with 5 other people.
Benefit – You will get a backlink from your LinkedIn profile and you have the opportunity to network with other people who may visit your website.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Visit http://www.LinkedIn.com
- Fill in your name, email address and click the “continue” button then follow the instructions to setup an account with
- Once you have your account setup, login in and click on the “Profile” You may want to use LinkedIn solely for Internet Marketing or you may decide to use it for a combination of internet marketing and networking/keeping in touch with colleagues in the industry that you work in. It is up to you. I personally joined LinkedIn a few years ago when I worked in software development and I find it useful for keeping in touch with my former friends and colleagues as well as for internet marketing.
- Fill in a brief summary of what you currently
- If you want to use LinkedIn for career opportunities you may also want to fill in some information about your previous work experience and your
- Now for the important .. there are three spaces to enter your websites. You can use these spaces to enter both your website URL and your blog URL. You should also replace the “My Website” text with your keywords.
- There are lots of other fields to fill in within your profile – just fill in what you feel is important and you may also want to add a photograph of
- Feel free to look at my own LinkedIn profile as an example – http://www.linkedin.com/in/suzannem
- Once you have setup your profile, save it and take a look at it to make sure it looks
- Now try and find some people to connect If you would like to start by connecting with me just click on my profile link above and click “Add Suzanne to your Network”. You can also use the search facility and browse to try and find other people to connect with. If you are connecting with someone make sure that it is either because a) you know them, b) you share something in common with them (e.g. similar career, interest in internet marketing). If you don’t know the person you should at a minimum tell them why you want to connect with them rather than using the standard message. Personally if a random person who I had never met connected with me and used the standard message, I would just ignore them.
Author: Suzanne Morrison